5thirty

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Good Architect, Architect

What defines a 'good architect'? I guess there are many answers to this question, as the answer would be a matter of opinion. But i'd like to think the 'good ones' aren't driven by money or fame. I mean, ok, we all have to earn a living, eat, support families, but money alone shouldnt be the objective. And neither should it be fame. Yes, you need to make it known that you and your craft exist, but too much of it would be distracting, don't you think so? I like associating words like passion, devotion, imagination, and play to the definition. Like an athlete that was born to play football, and then he grew up to be Zinedine Zidane or Ronaldinho.

Good architecture cannot be 'faked', just as, try as you might, will never be able to play like Zizou or Ronnie. You may be good, but never in the same way they are (and they, never like you either). It is not superficial, it has a 'soul'.

There's also a difference between a building that says "Look at me!" and one that at a minimum, appears to be stark and plain, but turns heads.

Then there are those that are just timeless, like Mies' German Pavilion in Barcelona, and others that are a product of their era, that wouldn't be the same if it were made in another time, and place. These too, are 'classics'.

Interestingly enough, truly great and magnificent architecture could even be manifested by void-more than in a built-up space. I love the idea of it.

I better get down from the clouds now, before i drift further on. I'm half way through the my review for what is to be my 'board exams' in January. My daily topics to study include pipe dimensions, construction details, and shear and moment diagrams. And i'm thinking, is this what's standing between my credibility as an architact and me? At the very least, i'd just like to be recognized as one (Being a good architect, i hope will follow in the years to come). I mean, sure, sound construction, and good utility installations will spell the difference between a great building and a leaky, stinky, God forbid, structurally unsound one but...oh well, i've got no excuse. I just have to try and get this test done and over with.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, i dream to be an architect that can give more than safe, comfortable shelter. What's more, id like to get on it already, get off the books and just 'play'. Hopefully i spend enough hours at it too, and learn enough to get a game going, put up a good fight-if not become Zizou or Ronnie in their better days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like associating words like passion, devotion, imagination, and play to the definition.

I like this entry mons. It starts with a big sigh, although it shows passion, devotion, imagination and play. I remember that morning you woke me up in manila, you put on that hardhat, and a big smile...then.. only did I undrstand,and knew architecht and heart. ==be'

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home