5thirty

Sunday, July 02, 2006

IM ALIVE!!!

Yes, i know, i'ts been a hundred years since i last left an entry on my newly created, and then abandoned blog, but i´m back! Got credit at an internet cafe nearby and now have plenty of internet hours every Sunday.

So what have I been up to the past 6 months? Well, shortly after my last blog entry, i had planned to leave for a long-awaited adventure: find a job, an apartment, and a life on my own in one of my favorite cities, Barcelona. But some two weeks before my flight, i got a job offer from a hotel company in Mallorca and i looked at my options. It's either i go to Barcelona, find something for myself (which im not sure how long it will take, but eventually find), or take a job from a good company where i am guaranteed of many more things than the unknowns of if i had left it for something else i didn't yet have. I weighed the two options, I and i thought, well Barcelona could wait. If i stay in Mallorca a little longer, i would have saved more, and have more time with my family before moving out on my own (i had only been in Spain with my family some 6 months then). And so here i am now, in Tenerife!

How did I get to Tenerife? The hotel chain i work for has a renovation project for one of its hotels here, so i've been sent to work on the drawings on the site. The whole experience has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. A hotel of some 400 rooms and many of its ammenities had to be renovated in 2 and a half months, with only a colleague and i doing the drawings. (Yup! I thought it was crazy too.) Getting aquiainted to the world of work here, and the environment too, cost me a little bit of time, and there’s also missing the comforts of your family and friends, the access to communicating with them especially if many of them are far away. But over all, I’ts been alright. Back in Mallorca, when I was still working at our base office, I was working on projects in Malaga, Tenerife, one in Mallorca, and another in Fuerteventura (also in the Canaries), and I thought to myself, I’d like to see the Canaries, Tenerife to be exact. And little did I know that I’d be sent over with a one-way ticket. All in all, I’ve been here a total of two and a half months now. The project is due to finish at the end of the month.

As to where I go from here, well, working for this company, I’ll really never know, as everything pretty much comes as a surprise. But the next adventure is already planned and ahead of me: taking the board exams in January! Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home