5thirty

Saturday, January 21, 2006

I've Arrived!

I'ts been almost a year since i arrived at Mallorca-but i haven't felt like i had 'till last night.

The feast of San Sebastian is perhaps the biggest event in Palma de Mallorca (San Sebastian is the patron saint of Palma) . It's even bigger than Christmas and new year's eve. The celebration lasts for weeks; there are concerts, bike-riding events, vintage car motorcades, and more. The celebration ends with a 25-minute fireworks exhibition at the bay on the final eveing of the celebration.

As we joined the rest of the Palma population in what felt like an exodus to the bay-side area on that final evening, i found myself caught up in all the rush. There was a certain energy in the air, as if anticipating something really big. The streets were deserted, practically no one was home, there were available parking slots along the streets. And then finally, we arrived, and saw people slowly filling in the bay-side area waiting for the event to start.


As i settled into my seat in one of the benches that line the bay, i looked around and was reminded of why this place is so beautiful. I saw the Cathedral lighted up in full glory, the fountains were on, and something about walking through the old part of the city (where the architecture is beautiful) started to feel familiar to me. It was that same feeling you might feel while driving home, listening to your favorite song on the radio, and your mind is clear and free.

At that moment, i smiled to myslef. I felt a wonderful sense of relief, and excitement as to what this new place may bring me. I smiled and exhaled, as i thought, i have finally arrived, after seven months of living here, and maybe even call it home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home