5thirty

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

On Assignment

I have heard many times that the second most hazardous occupation after being a soldier on the battle field is working at a construction site. (I think i could almost agree, even if the worst thing that happened to me was having something fly into my eye)

Curiously enough, the hazardous nature of the job is not what i associated most to soldiers on the battle field. If youre familiar with the famous photograph of the sailor that emraced and kissed his partner after being away for so long, and finally arriving home, then you have a clear picture of what i mean to say.

Being away "on assignment", means you have to be away from the people you love, beingn away from that familiar environment you call home. After having spent a few months being only one of 5 girls among some 200 men in the jobsite, i saw the photo of this sailor come to life many times. There are those that tell stories of the family that awaits them at home. "I have to go home soon, i've been here too long (this man, one week on the site). I have three kids, and i want my two youngest ones to recognize me still!" They need not say much to express the joy they feel at the very thought of them, their faces change, their thoughts drift. They literally light up. And then they go on, "...at home, i have a little girl that does so well at school, she's great, she just won a photo contest recently, you know? And she's never even been into photography!" Another asks to be allowed back for a few days to be present at his first grandchild's baptism, "I have to goback, this is the first grandchild, is is essential to be there, this is sacred!"

There are others that send their wives over for a few days, others entire families, even grandchildren. "My wife is coming over in a few days, and my little boy too!" "My wife is going to be here this week!" "My son is coming to work with us, and his wife and kids are goingto keep us company for two weeks! I'm going to see my little kids again!"

Others ofcourse, are not-so-committed, and meet girls "on the road". They take them to get togethers, party with them i suppose, among other things. And there are others that go even further, and bring them from "the road", to "the room"...you know what i mean.

As for me, i long to come home, and be that lonely sailor, at that long awaited moment to be in the arms of the one that he loves. If i may be more realistic, my equivalent would be meeting my mom at the airport with my brother and dinner at a chinese restaurant-not a bad substitute!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home