5thirty

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My New Beetle

I have found a new way to experience the joys of going on the road! And there's even more to it than the beetle i left behind; it is easier to park, doesn't need gasoline, doesn't emit harmful elements into the air, is easier to maintain, and could run on more areas than just the street! It even has less tires!!

Yup! It's my bike!

Same sunlight-on-my-face (and pollution too), wind in my hair WITH MUSIC (thanks to my mp3 player) experience i had with my beloved beetle, but now more environment, and pocket friendly.

I've been riding my bike since early this year, taking me to and from work, and just about anywhere i want to go that is within biking distace. But never have i used it and enjoyed it more than now.

As i left school today, i unchained my bike from the rack set aside for bicylces at the university, and set off for the bike lane. Going home from school is always my favorite part of the day, because not only does it mean that i'm done with my study hours for the day, but coz it's all downhill till the apartment. Wide roads, tree-lined bike lane, (having a bike lane is plenty already) people walking past, people walking toward you not looking where theyre going, a pigeon that almost flew onto my face, rollerbladers, mommies with baby seats at the back of their bikes, businessmen in suits on their bikes. I raced down our street, catching the green lights, switching the road for the side walk whenever it was convenient.

Instead of going into the apartment building, i did an extra round around Plaza EspaƱa today. The light outside was just too tempting to resist. It was 6pm, not dark, nor too sunny, people just getting out of work, winding down, taking their kids out to the park. I had my ipod on, and it was playing a good selection of songs. I drove past more tree-lined streets, past Plaza Joan Miro, went along the Gran Via. I stayed out biking a little while more, just enjoying everything all at once. There's something so great about just being able to go out there, clear your mind, and go where the road takes you, for as far as your legs can take you.

More places and people should really be more bike friendly. It's good exercise, it doesn't pollute the air, doesn't create traffic. And best of all, it's just pure fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home