5thirty

Monday, January 29, 2007

Now what?

I've finally got that big test over with, and it feels GREAT. I don't know what the results are yet, but whatever it is, it's time I get started with what's next for me; updating my portfolio and looking for an arki job. I can't wait to find one.

Towards the end of my test period, I managed to find a part time job at a clothes store. Growing up you wonder what it would be like to work in McDonald's or something like that. It looks like fun, you think. Then when I was 7 I got a chance to actually try it. McDonald's Greenhills (Is it still there?). It was great, I had my own little striped yellow and white uniform, of a style that McDonald's had in the late 80's. I felt like a big girl. 18 years later, I get a part time job at a clothes store, and it's a whole different picture now. You work coz you've got bills to pay, and you stay standing attending to people 8 hours a day on your 2-day weekend shift. It's not a matter of wanting to feel like a big girl anymore, coz now youre way past 'big girl' and you look at little kids and wish you were 7 again. Your legs feel like you could barely stand after, but that's about the only downside to it. My co-workers are a great bunch; we're like the United Nations. There are Perubians, a Moroccan, an Argentinian, a Chilean, there's someone from Poland, your share of Spaniards, and the Filipino delegate, me. It's great coz youre all basically in the same situation, and about the same age, doing the same thing. Three of us are doing some kind of licensure exam. One for agriculture, one for psychology, and mine, architecture. Another is a chemistry student, another does humanities, and there are other studies too. It's nice coz the stories and experiences you share are understood. The company is great to work for too with our situation because they offer a considerable amount of flexibility to the hours you need for school plus, you get 50% discount on the clothes ofcourse!

So anyway, now is time for the next step. I've got that job going, now to work on my career-whatever the outcome of the test. Now is the exciting part, the part where you wonder, where will end up working? And now is the part where you also do a lot of hoping; hoping that you will be given an opportunity to prove yourself to your possible emoployers. Hoping you will be noticed among those who are educated and trained in the same city, in their standards. Hoping you might finally find this job youre looking for, and hoping you'll be happy working there.

For now though, I'll take a break, maybe ill start on that portfolio tomorrow or the day after. Ill take the time to enjoy this little window for rest while i have it, and start fresh with what i have coming for me next.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't worry, we will resuscitite your computer and youll be able to go on with your portfolio ;)

1:01 AM  
Blogger 5thirty said...

is this 'xot' the one who took that damn virus away? thanks for helping me out, these people who do these things have nothing else better to do with their time!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:( these words translated to spanish are bad words... (hope is my bad english who makes me feel sad) Of course I have a lot of things to do with my time, but It's just easy to find the 25th hour of the day to help good people like you ;)

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home